Friday, August 28, 2009

Keep Your Clothes On

Each year on the first day of class, I have the students help me make the classroom rules. I let them give me rule suggestions, and I write them down on the wipe board. I then create a poster with all the rules on it that we display in the classroom. Each year brings the normal suggestions, such as no running, no hitting, no spitting (I always kept my eye on the child who suggested that one!), etc. But one year I got the best one yet. One of my students politely raised her hand and I said,

"Yes, Susie, what do you think one of our rules should be?"

"Well, you know when the boys take off their shirts and lay on top of the girls and kiss them? That's disgusting."

Long pause.


"So then we should keep our clothes on at school..."

Thankfully another student raised their hand and added, "And our shoes too!"


"Oh, yes, our shoes too!"


I proceeded to write these rules down and kept on going. Needless to say, I couldn't even look at my assistant for fear of spiraling into a fit of giggles. I can't wait to hear the rules that this year's student's suggest. I wonder if anyone will beat Susie's?

No comments:

Post a Comment